Continue your swing dance studies with our intensive 12-week Improvers program!
Length: 12-week course, 90 minute classes
Location: Academy Studios, 15 Pratt Mews, Camden NW1 0AD
Instructor: Nancy Hitzig
- Winter Term: 8.30pm-10.00pm, every Wednesday from 16 January to 3 April 2019
- Spring Term: 8.30pm-10.00pm, every Wednesday from 1 May to 17 July 2019
- Autumn Term: 8.30pm-10.00pm, every Wednesday from 11 September to 27 November 2019
What is this course about?
This course is for swing dancers who have completed their Beginners classes and are looking to take their Lindy Hop to the next level! Our Improvers course will recap and polish everything you learned in your Beginners course, and teach you more classic swing steps. You will practice your basics, work on connection so the dance feels better, polish your style, learn more moves and get more confident about social dancing.
You don’t need to bring a partner to this course. You will rotate partners in class, dancing with both men and women – a great way to make friends!
Who is the teacher?
This course is taught by award-winning Canadian swing dancer Nancy Hitzig. Nancy’s teaching style is fun and upbeat. She is a warm, thoughtful teacher and her passion for swing is infectious!
What will I learn?
Over 12 weeks you will revise and polish everything you learned in your Beginners course, plus learn some more classic Lindy Hop moves and styling. You will learn both the lead and follow roles. By the end of the course you should be confident to step out on the dance floor at any of London’s exciting swing parties. Here are the topics we study week-by-week in the course:
Week 1 Revising Your 6-Count Basics
Week 2 Handshake Hold Moves in 6-Counts
Week 3 Jigwalks + 6-Count with Kicks for Faster Dancing
Week 4 Sugar Pushes & Swivels
Week 5 Revising Your 8-Count Basics
Week 6 Style for Swingouts & Circles
Week 7 Spins & Turns in 6- and 8-Counts
Week 8 Revising Your Lindy Charleston Basics
Week 9 Hand-to-Hand Charleston
Week 10 Tandem Charleston
Week 11 Hacksaws + Practicing Charleston Transitions
Week 12 Bringing It All Together + Social Dance Advice
What makes this course special?
1. Unique to this course, you will learn both roles of the dance – how to be the leader and the follower! Even if you later choose to specialise in just one role, having fundamentals in both will make you the best possible dancer. You will rotate partners in class, dancing with both men and women – a great way to make friends! This course is gender neutral and LGBT+ friendly. Old school dance for new school people. It’s ok if you have learned your Lindy Hop basics with another swing dance school and only know one role – we will catch you up and make you ambidextrous in no time!
2. Luxuriously long 90-minute classes mean you get plenty of practice time & attention in class!
3. You will get lots of support material throughout the course, including a course handbook, recap videos, practice music playlists and more! As a bonus, every week of the course Sharon will send you an email newsletter, full of swing history so you can learn about the roots of swing music and dance. Each weekly email has an inspiring vintage swing clip, a swing musician bio, and a Dance Legend of the week.
4. This course was created by JazzMAD founder Sharon Davis and is the culmination of Sharon’s 18 years of experience, learning from the legends and masters of this dance, and travelling the world to teach and share her passion. As Sharon says, this course is “the way I wished I had learned Lindy Hop!” This course will teach you the best possible fundamentals and technique to progress on to more advanced classes and to hit the social dance floor with confidence!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the level of this course? Who is this course suited for?
This course is for swing dancers who have completed their Beginners level classes. You should already have learned your Swing Outs and Lindy Circles, some 6-Count Lindy Hop and your Lindy Charleston basics. So if you have completed the JazzMAD beginners course, you are ready to start this Improvers course. Or if you have learned the basics with another swing dance school, then this course is also perfect for you. If you’re not sure if the course is right for you, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or come to the first class as a free trial to see if it’s right for you!
What if I have only learned to dance Lindy Hop in one role?
It’s ok if you have learned your Lindy Hop basics with another swing dance school and only know one role – we will catch you up and make you ambidextrous in no time! As long as you are open-minded and willing to dance with everyone – men and women – in class, then this course is right for you!
Can I come to the first class to decide if I want to take the whole course?
Yes! If you’re not sure this course is right for you, just come along to the Week 1 class for free, no obligation. No booking is needed, just show up to the Week 1 class. You can enjoy the first class and meet your teacher, then decide if you want to continue. If you decide to continue you can register for the course (if there are still spaces available) and pay the £185 fee online before Week 2.
I have completed a Beginners Course, but not at JazzMAD. Can I attend this Improvers course?
Yes, as long as you are willing to learn both roles (leading and following) in this course. If you’ve only learned one role, that’s ok and we’ll help catch you up. It’s not as hard as you think!
Can I drop-in to one of these classes?
No, this is a progressive 12-week course. You must sign up for the whole program. If you are looking for a drop-in Improvers class, we offer that at The Wednesday Club.
Can I pay in instalments?
Yes, if you are unable to pay the course fee in full now, then email email@example.com to arrange an alternative payment plan.
What if I have to miss one of the classes?
Don’t worry! If you miss a class, you will still get the recap videos from that week, which you can use to catchup. Nancy will also help you catch up in the next class if you need help.
What should I wear/bring?
Wear comfortable clothes that allow for unrestricted movement. Jeans and a t-shirt (or similar) is perfect. Our dancefloor is slightly slippery, so most students are comfortable in tennis shoes or similar, though you are welcome to wear whatever shoes you usually swing dance in. Bring a bottle of water.
What’s the difference between this Improvers Course and your Drop-In Improvers classes?
This course is more intensive and you will definitely leave this course a stronger dancer. The course has a smaller class size, for lots of personal attention from your teacher. You will be in class with the same students each week, which is a great way to make friends and dance buddies to go social dancing with. In this course you will practice all the material in both roles, leading and following, whereas at drop-in classes you only learn one role. The weekly sessions in this course are 90 minutes long, whereas the Wednesday drop-in classes are only 1 hour long. So in the course you will learn the material in more depth and have more practice time. And in this course you will have more support from your teacher and bonus support materials, including videos and handouts. The course also has a stronger history-education element, with weekly emails that guide you through must-know swing history.
When I’ve finished, what class can I do next?
After this course you can move on to our Swing Dance Intermediate classes. Or if you want to take this course a second time, we’ll give you a £50 discount!
Photographs by Eric Bobrie.