Current status summary (updated 26th March):
- Full closure now in place
- All classes at Academy Studios Camden are cancelled for the remainder of Term 1 and all of Term 2, which includes Jazz Singing on Mondays, Solo Jazz on Tuesdays and Lindy Hop on Thursdays.
- The Spring Swing Ball on 1st April is cancelled.
- The Wednesay Swing Club is cancelled for March and April, and will re-commence on 6th May.
- The Summer Swing Ball on 22nd July will run as scheduled
- All Term 3 courses & classes (commencing 7th September) will run as scheduled.
See below for full details.
During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, our number one priority is the safety of our community, our students and teachers.
We are closely monitoring the situation and upholding UK Government guidelines and advice, which you can read here:
As the British government has now advised citizens to stop all non-essential contact with others, all unnecessary travel and to avoid social venues, we with heavy hearts are closing all our classes for the remainder of this term.
The closure of our local classes & jazz nights, and cancellation of swing workshops & festivals abroad is financially devastating to the JazzMAD staff, as we are all full-time dance and music artists with no other source of income. We are now likely to have little or zero earnings in the months ahead. In some cases we will still be held liable for rents & venue hire fees, despite not being able to run our classes. The class credits we give you for these cancelled classes this term, mean our income will be reduced in future terms as well. So we will be feeling the effects of this crisis for a long time to come. Your understanding and support in this difficult time is deeply appreciated. If you can afford to donate your class credit in solidarity, fill in the form here.
Please take a minute to read below, for full details on cancelled classes and to remind yourself of the precautions we all need to take to stay healthy and protect our community.
If you are diagnosed by a healthcare professional as having contracted Coronavirus (COVID-19) and have attended a JazzMAD class in the past two weeks, please notify us immediately.
Thank you for your time reading this and for all your support! Wishing you good health and I hope to see you when classes resume.
The hygiene guidelines being promoted for Coronavirus are the same we have always promoted to our students for avoiding passing general colds & flus through the dance community:
- wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds.
- wash your hands before and after class.
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- do not touch your face, nose, eyes or mouth.
- carry tissues in your pocket during class
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze.
- put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards.
- feel free to leave the class room to cough or sneeze at any time, as a courtesy to fellow students.
Of course, please use commonsense and never attend a group class if you:
- have any flu-like symptoms, including a high temperature, coughing, sneezing, runny nose or sore throat.
- have been in contact with anyone diagnosed with or reasonably suspected of having Coronavirus or any flu
Detailed Updates on Classes
- Monday Jazz Singing course with Louise at Academy Studios Camden is cancelled for the remainder of this course, and Term 2 courses are also cancelled. Sincere apologies to Louise and her gorgeous group of singers! To students registered and fully paid for that course, a credit will be placed on your account for the two missed classes, which can be used towards the next Singing course (or any JazzMAD class/event) once we resume.
- Tuesday drop-in Solo Jazz classes with Sharon at Academy Studios Camden are cancelled for the rest of this term and for Term 2 also. This includes Beginners Solo Jazz and Jazz Roots. If you have booked for an upcoming jazz class, your booking has been cancelled and a credit put on your account to use when classes recommence. Thank you for your understanding! For now, we are scheduled to resume these classes in September.
- Tuesday Jazz Performance Routine course with Sharon at Academy Studios Camden is cancelled for the remainder of this course, and the Term 2 course is also cancelled. Deepest apologies to my wonderful jazz crew! Anyone registered and fully paid for that course, a credit will be placed on your account for the three missed classes, which can be used towards the next course (or any JazzMAD class/event) once we resume.
- Thursday Swing Dance Beginners and Lindy Hop Improvers courses with Lydia at Academy Studios Camden are cancelled for the remainder of this course. Heartfelt apologies to Lydia and her Lindy crew! To students registered and fully paid for those courses, a credit will be placed on your account for the three missed classes, which can be used towards the next course (or any JazzMAD class/event) once we resume. These courses in Term 2 are also cancelled. The next set of courses will be in Term 3 which commences in September.
- Wednesday Swing Club Lindy Hop classes with Sharon at Stern Hall Marylebone are cancelled for March and April. If you have booked for an upcoming Wednesday Swing Club class, your booking has been cancelled and a credit put on your account to use when classes recommence. Thank you for your understanding. The next Wednesday Swing Club is scheduled for 6th May.
- Spring Swing Ball on 1st April at Stern Hall Marylebone is cancelled. Any tickets you purchased online have been cancelled and a credit put on your account to use for the next ball, or any JazzMAD drop-in class. Thank you for your understanding. Our sincere apologies to our performance students who were looking forward to showcasing at the ball, and to the London Dance Orchestra who were booked to play for us.
Frequently Asked Questions
I'd like to donate my JazzMAD class credits to support the school. How can I do that?
This crisis has been financially devastating for our school and all our teachers personally, so if you are not struggling as much as us and can afford to forfeit your credit in solidarity, it will help us to stay afloat and be able to re-open once this is all over.
If you would like to donate your credit or find out more about what that means, fill in this form at:
How can I get up to date information about whether a class/event is going ahead?
My class credits expired because of the Coronavirus cancellations. Can they be extended?
Yes, if you would like expired credits re-instated, just email Sharon on firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange this.