Want to learn to swing dance from scratch? This is the course for you! No experience needed, no partner needed. The ultimate 12-week beginners program created by world champion Sharon Davis.
Course Length: 12-week intensive course, 90 minute classes
Location: Academy Studios, 15 Pratt Mews, Camden NW1 0AD
- Starting 16th January: 7.00pm-8.30pm, every Wednesday from 16 January to 3 April 2019
- Starting 1st May: 7.00pm-8.30pm, every Wednesday from 1 May to 17 July 2019
- Starting 11th September: 7.00pm-8.30pm, every Wednesday from 11 September to 27 November 2019
try before you buy
Not sure this course is right for you? Come along to the Week 1 class for a no-obligation trial. No need to pre-book, just show up. You can enjoy the first class, then decide if you want to continue.
what is swing dancing?
It’s a partner dance that is upbeat, social and a lot of fun! We teach the original swing dance from the 1930s and 1940s, called the Lindy Hop! Lindy Hop was born in New York in the late 1920s and became a worldwide dance craze during the swing era. It’s having a huge revival around the world now, and London is one of the best cities in the world to dance it. Swing dancing is done to big band swing music and it’s irresistibly toe-tapping!
what will I learn?
Over 12 weeks you will learn the most important footwork patterns and classic dance moves of the Lindy Hop. You will learn both the lead and follow roles. By the end of the course you will also know all about the history of swing dancing and the wonderful swing & jazz music it is danced to. You will be ready to step out on the dance floor at any of London’s exciting swing parties and social dances.
about the course creator
Sharon Davis is a world-renowned, champion swing dancer who has taught Lindy Hop in 30+ countries. She has created this ultimate 12-week beginners course to give you the best possible introduction to the dance. Sharon learned by studying with the original creators and legends of this dance – many of her mentors were aged in their 80s and 90s when she was studying with them! Sharon’s life mission is to pass on what she learned from them and keep the flame of this wonderful dance alive!
4 ways our course is special
- Learn Sharon Davis’s unique swing dance system. This course is the culmination of Sharon’s 18 years of experience, studying with the legends & masters, and dancing all over the world teaching and sharing her passion. This course has a carefully planned curriculum designed to fast track your dance learning, while giving you the best possible foundations.
- Unique to this course, you will learn both roles of the dance – how to be the leader and the follower! Later you might choose to specialise in just one role, as many dancers do, but having fundamentals in both will make you the best possible dancer. You will rotate partners in class, dancing with both men and women – a great way to make friends! This course is gender neutral. Old school dance for new school people.
- Extra long 90 minute classes mean you get plenty of practice time in class!
- You will get lots of bonus materials throughout the course! Each week Sharon will give you class videos, music playlists for practicing, information sheets, and more!
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I wear/bring?
Just wear comfortable clothes that allow for unrestricted movement. Jeans and a t-shirt (or anything similar) is perfect. Swing dancers usually wear flat, closed shoes like Oxfords or plimsolls. Advice on swing shoes will be given in the first class! Bring a bottle of water.
What is the level of this course?
This course is for absolute beginners, no experience needed.
This course is also suitable for people with some swing dance experience, but who are interested in learning the JazzMAD method or learning both roles of the dance.
Can I drop-in to this course?
No, this is a progressive 12-week course. You must sign up for the whole program.
Can I come to the first class to decide if I want to take the whole course?
Yes! If you’re not sure this course is right for you, just come along to the Week 1 class for free, no obligation. You do not need to pre-book, just show up. You can enjoy the first class and meet your teacher, then decide if you want to continue. If you decide to continue you can register for the course (if there are still spaces available) and pay the £185 fee online before Week 2. All the information you need will be given to you at the class.
Can I pay in instalments?
Yes, if you are unable to pay the course fee in full now, then email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a payment plan of three instalments instead.
What if I have to miss one of the classes?
Don’t worry! If you miss a class, you will still get the practice videos from that week, which you can use to catchup. The teacher will also help you catch up in the next class if you need help.
I can't make the first class! Is it ok to start from week 2?
Yes, no problem! Register for the course online, and just show up to Week 2. We will get you up to speed, as in Week 2 we revise everything we did in Week 1 before moving on.
Why should I take this 12-week course, instead of your drop-in Beginner classes?
Drop-in classes are wonderful because they are cheap, flexible and fun. But by their nature you will not learn as much nor as quickly as you will in our 12-week course. This course is a progressive, structured and intensive program. You’ll meet the same students in class every week, which is a great way to make friends, but also means we can make the material progressive and move faster. In this course we also send you a weekly email with supporting videos and other resources, plus you get a course handbook with lots of helpful information, and there’s a mid-course presentation on swing dance history too! So the course has a lot of extra value packed into it!
When I've finished, what class can I do next?
After this course you can move on to our Swing Dance Improvers classes. Or if you want to take this course a second time, we’ll give you a £50 discount!