Want to learn to swing dance from scratch? This is the course for you! No experience needed, no partner needed. The ultimate 12-week beginners program created by champion dancer Sharon Davis.
Course Length: 12-class intensive course, 90 minute classes
Location: Jazzbourne, 443 New Cross Road, London SE14 6TA
- Starting 6 January 2022: 7.00pm – 8.30pm every Thursday from 6 January to 31 March 2022 (no class on 17 February for half-term break)
- Starting 21 April 2022: 7.00pm – 8.30pm every Thursday from 21 April 2022 to 14 July 2022 (no class on 16 June for mid-term break)
- Starting 15 September 2022: 7.00pm – 8.30pm every Thursday from 15 September to 8 December 2022 (no class on 27 October for half-term break)
4 ways our course is special
- Learn Sharon Davis’s unique swing dance system. This course is the culmination of Sharon’s 20 years of experience, studying with the legends & masters, and dancing all over the world teaching and sharing her passion. This course has a carefully planned curriculum designed to fast track your dance learning, while giving you the best possible foundations.
- Unique to this course, you will learn both roles of the dance – how to be the leader and the follower! Later you might choose to specialise in just one role, as many dancers do, but having fundamentals in both will make you the best possible dancer. You will rotate partners in class, dancing with both men and women – a great way to make friends. This course is gender neutral. Old school dance for new school people!
- Extra long 90 minute classes mean you get tonnes of material and plenty of practice time in class.
- You will get lots of bonus materials throughout the course. Each week Sharon will give you class videos, music playlists for practicing, information sheets, and more.
what is swing dancing?
It’s a partner dance that is upbeat, social and a lot of fun! We teach the original swing dance from the 1930s and 1940s, called the Lindy Hop. Lindy Hop was born in New York in the late 1920s and became a worldwide dance craze during the swing era. It’s having a huge revival around the world now, and London is one of the best cities in the world to dance it. Swing dancing is done to big band swing music and it’s irresistibly toe-tapping.
what will I learn?
Over 12 weeks you will learn the most important footwork patterns and classic dance moves of the Lindy Hop. You will learn both the lead and follow roles. By the end of the course you will also know all about the history of swing dancing and the wonderful swing & jazz music it is danced to. You will be ready to step out on the dance floor at any of London’s exciting swing parties and social dances.
who is this course for? what are the prerequisites?
- No dance experience needed, this course is for absolute beginners
- No partner needed, you will be changing partners in class.
- Please only register for this course if you are happy to dance with everyone in class – men, women, in between and beyond. You will be learning to lead and follow – both dance roles – in this course, and partnering with every other student. You’ll love it, it’s great fun!
- This is an adult dance class, all attendees must be 18+
- Swing dancing is a physical pursuit and classes may at times involve rigorous activity. A good level of basic fitness and range of movement is needed. If in doubt please consult your GP before participating.
- Please read about our current Covid-19 safety policies here.
about the course creator
Sharon Davis is a world-renowned, champion swing dancer who has taught Lindy Hop in 30+ countries. She has created this ultimate 12-week beginners course to give you the best possible introduction to the dance. Sharon learned by studying with the original creators and legends of this dance – many of her mentors were aged in their 80s and 90s when she was studying with them! Sharon’s life mission is to pass on what she learned from them and keep the flame of this wonderful dance alive!
2022 Term Dates
Spring Term: 2 January – 2 April (Spring Half Term Break 13-19 February)
Thursday 6 January 2022
Thursday 13 January 2022
Thursday 20 January 2022
Thursday 27 January 2022
Thursday 3 February 2022
Thursday 10 February 2022
(Half-term Break: no session on Thursday 17 February 2022)
Thursday 24 February 2022
Thursday 3 March 2022
Thursday 10 March 2022
Thursday 17 March 2022
Thursday 24 March 2022
Thursday 31 March 2022
Summer Term : 17 April – 16 July (Summer Half Term Break 12–18 June)
Thursday 21 April 2022
Thursday 28 April 2022
Thursday 5 May 2022
Thursday 12 May 2022
Thursday 19 May 2022
Thursday 26 May 2022
Thursday 2 June 2022
Thursday 9 June 2022
(Mid-term break: no session on Thursday 16 June 2022)
Thursday 23 June 2022
Thursday 30 June 2022
Thursday 7 July 2022
Thursday 14 July 2022
Winter Term: 11 Sept – 10 Dec (Winter Half Term Break 23-29 October)
Thursday 15 September 2022
Thursday 22 September 2022
Thursday 29 September 2022
Thursday 6 October 2022
Thursday 13 October 2022
Thursday 20 October 2022
(Half-term Break: no session on Thursday 27 October 2022)
Thursday 3 November 2022
Thursday 10 November 2022
Thursday 17 November 2022
Thursday 24 November 2022
Thursday 1 December 2022
Thursday 8 December 2022
try a taster first
Not sure our swing dance course is right for you? Come to one of our free 30-minute taster classes, to try it out first. The 12-week course is intensive & comprehensive, whereas a taster class will just teach you a few fun steps quickly. But it will give you a taste of the spirit of the dance and hopefully convince you to join our course! Hey it’s free, what have you got to lose?
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I wear/bring?
Smart casual is fine! Just wear comfortable clothes that allow for unrestricted movement. Many students are in casual jeans-and-a-T-shirt (or similar), some like to get into the 1930s/1940s spirit in vintage style.
Swing dancers usually wear flat, closed shoes (like Oxfords, tennis shoes or plimsolls). Please no high heels or shoes that will scratch or mark the dancefloor. You can definitely dance happily in street shoes, but most dancers eventually like to buy leather- or suede-soled dance shoes. Advice on swing shoes is given in the first class of the 12-week course.
Bring a bottle of water. Please bring minimal possessions as the cloakroom may not be operating and it is a small venue.
What is the level of this course?
This course is for absolute beginners, no experience needed.
This course is also suitable for people with some swing dance experience, but who are interested in learning the JazzMAD method or learning both roles of the dance.
Can I drop-in to this course?
No, this is a progressive 12-week course. You must sign up for the whole program.
Can I pay in instalments?
Yes, if you are unable to pay the course fee in full now, then email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a payment plan of three instalments instead.
What if I have to miss one of the classes?
Don’t worry! If you miss a class, you will still get the practice videos from that week, which you can use to catchup. The teacher will also help you catch up in the next class if you need help.
I can't make the first class! Is it ok to start from week 2?
Yes, no problem! Register for the course online, and just show up to Week 2. We will get you up to speed, as in Week 2 we revise everything we did in Week 1 before moving on.
Why should I take this 12-week course, instead of a drop-in class or taster?
Drop-in classes are wonderful because they are cheap, flexible and fun. But by their nature you will not learn as much nor as quickly as you will in our 12-week course. This course is a progressive, structured and intensive program. You’ll meet the same students in class every week, which is a great way to make friends, but also means we can make the material progressive and move faster. You’ll also learn both dance roles in this class. In this course we also send you a weekly email with supporting videos and other resources, plus you get a course handbook with lots of helpful information, and there’s a mid-course presentation on swing dance history too! So the course has a lot of extra value packed into it!
Can I take the course with my partner/date/buddy/mum and dance only with them for the whole class? We don't want to change partners.
Yes! If you would like to attend with a particular partner and not rotate/change partners in class, that is absolutely fine! Please just speak to the teacher before class and they will get you situated in the room where you are comfortable and won’t disrupt the partner-rotation flow for the rest of the class.
I don't want to learn both dance roles. Can I still take the course?
Everyone who is rotating partners in class must learn both dance roles.
However, if you attend the course with a fixed partner, and stay together during class instead of swapping partners, then yes. Then you can choose to focus on just one role each (one person the leader, and one person the follower). You will have extra time to practice, while the other students are learning how to do each step in the other role.
What time should I arrive at the venue?
The venue doors open at 6pm. Come have a drink and warm up before class!
The class will start at 7pm, so we would recommend arriving at least 10 minutes early to check in and get settled before class.
Is there time to practice & socialise after class?
Yes! This course is part of our Thursday Beginners Night. The schedule of the evening is:
|6.00pm-7.00pm||Doors open 6pm. Come have a drink and warm up before class!|
|7.00pm-8.30pm||Swing Dance Beginners Course (12-week intensive £185, booking required)|
|8.30pm-9.00pm||30-minute swing dance Taster Class for absolute beginners (free! no booking needed)|
|9.00pm-11.00pm||Beginner-friendly social dancing & practice time (free! no booking needed)|
Many students in the course will take a short break after their class finishes (during the Taster Class) – maybe grab a bite to eat at one of the nearby restaurants. And then return for some social dancing & a drink from 9pm.
Or why not invite a friend to come take the free Taster Class with you at 8.30pm, so they can see what you are learning in your course.
When I've finished, what class can I do next?
After this course you can move on to our Swing Dance Improvers classes.
Or if you want to take this course a second time, we’ll give you a £50 discount!