Want to learn to swing dance from scratch? This is the course for you! No experience needed, no partner needed. The ultimate 12-week beginners program created by world champion Sharon Davis.
Length: 12-week intensive course, 90 minute classes
Location: Academy Studios, 15 Pratt Mews, Camden Town NW1 0AD
- Winter Term: 8.00pm-9.30pm, every Tuesday from 15 January to 2 April 2019
- Winter Term: 7.00pm-8.30pm, every Wednesday from 16 January to 3 April 2019
- Spring Term: 8.00pm-9.30pm, every Tuesday from 30 April to 16 July 2019
- Spring Term: 7.00pm-8.30pm, every Wednesday from 1 May to 17 July 2019
- Autumn Term: 8.00pm-9.30pm, every Tuesday from 10 September to 26 November 2019
- Autumn Term: 7.00pm-8.30pm, every Wednesday from 11 September to 27 November 2019
What is swing dancing?
It’s a partner dance that is upbeat, social and a lot of fun! We teach the original swing dance from the 1930s and 1940s, called the Lindy Hop! Lindy Hop was born in New York in the late 1920s and became a worldwide dance craze during the swing era. It’s having a huge revival around the world now, and London is one of the best cities in the world to dance it. Swing dancing is done to big band swing music and it’s irresistibly toe-tapping!
Who created this course?
Sharon Davis is a world champion Lindy Hopper and the director of the European Swing Dance Championships. She has taught Lindy Hop all around the world, from Australia to Sweden, Argentina to Korea, for the past 16 years. She has created this ultimate 12-week beginners course to give you the best possible introduction to the dance. Sharon learned to swing dance by studying with the original creators and legends of this dance – many of her mentors were aged in their 80s and 90s when she was learning from them! Sadly most of the original swing dancers are now lost to us, and Sharon considers it her mission in life to pass on the information she learned from them and keep the flame of this dance alive!
The teachers for this course are both Sharon Davis and also award-winning Canadian swing dancer Nancy Hitzig. Both these talented ladies are passionate teachers and their enthusiasm is infectious. You are guaranteed to leave this course addicted to swing! The JazzMAD teaching style is intensive, but friendly and fun. You will be encouraged to meet your fellow students and make lots of friends by the end of the course.
What will I learn?
Over 12 weeks you will learn the most important footwork patterns and classic dance moves of the Lindy Hop. You will learn both the lead and follow roles. By the end of the course you will also know all about the history of swing dancing and the wonderful swing & jazz music it is danced to. You will be ready to step out on the dance floor at any of London’s exciting swing parties and social dances.
What makes this course special?
1. Unique to this course, you will learn both roles of the dance – how to be the leader and the follower! Later you might choose to specialise in just one role, as many dancers do, but having fundamentals in both will make you the best possible dancer. You will rotate partners in class, dancing with both men and women – a great way to make friends! This course is gender neutral and LGBT+ friendly. Old school dance for new school people.
2. Extra long 90 minute classes mean you get plenty of practice time in class!
3. You will get lots of bonus material throughout the course! You will get a course handbook, full of all the information you need. And each week Sharon will email you class videos, music playlists for practicing, and more!
4. This course is the culmination of Sharon’s 15 years of experience, learning from the legends and masters of this dance, and travelling the world to teach and share her passion. This course will teach you the best possible fundamentals and technique, with some of the world’s most popular and in-demand instructors.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I wear/bring?
Just wear comfortable clothes that allow for unrestricted movement. Jeans and a t-shirt (or anything similar) is perfect. Swing dancers usually wear flat, closed shoes like Oxfords or plimsolls. Advice on swing shoes will be given in the first class! Bring a bottle of water.
What is the level of this course?
This course is for absolute beginners, no experience needed.
Can I drop-in to this course?
No, this is a progressive 12-week course. You must sign up for the whole program.
Can I come to the first class to decide if I want to take the whole course?
Yes! If you’re not sure this course is right for you, just come along to the Week 1 class for free, no obligation. You do not need to pre-book, just show up. You can enjoy the first class and meet your teacher, then decide if you want to continue. If you decide to continue you can register for the course (if there are still spaces available) and pay the £185 fee online before Week 2.
Can I pay in instalments?
Yes, if you are unable to pay the course fee in full now, then email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an alternative payment plan.
What if I have to miss one of the classes?
Don’t worry! If you miss a class, you will still get the practice videos from that week, which you can use to catchup. The teacher will also help you catch up in the next class if you need help.
When I’ve finished, what class can I do next?
After this course you can move on to our Swing Dance Improvers classes.
Photographs by Eric Bobrie.